Monday, January 10, 2005

Series: Surrender to God’s Will: Post I - Defining Surrender

What is surrender?

Surrender implies a transformation from a state of freedom or resistance into a state of obedience to another’s will, initially as a result of force.

At any given point there is surrender or there isn’t. Surrender is that point of change at which willful resistance then becomes purposeful obedience. If there remains any resistance or even the intent or hope of resistance in the future, there is only temporary submission, not surrender.

Full surrender is a complete & permanent replacement of my will for another’s. A state of full surrender exists when I have no will of my own in that another’s will has become my own.

How do I surrender?

Surrender requires acknowledgement. Acknowledgement requires knowledge & acceptance. I must know to whom I am surrendering & accept the terms of the surrender.

First & foremost there must be knowledge. I must know to whom I am surrendering & thus to whom I will now submit. With out this knowledge, acceptance is uninformed & incomplete, even non-binding. Not knowing exactly to whom I have surrendered will ultimately lead to confusion and disobedience.

Secondly, there must be acceptance of the terms of surrender. I must accept the proposition that my life is no longer my own & that my will is subservient to another’s. With out this acceptance, knowledge alone is incomplete. Not accepting submission will ultimately lead to confusion and disobedience.

Only with knowledge & acceptance of my full surrender will there then be clarity & obedience of action.

What is Full & Final Surrender?

Full & final surrender requires obedience not out of fear or force but out of repentance.

Repentance is the act of turning away from old ways and facing toward the new. Full & final surrender is the point at which my will is no longer subservient to, but has been completely replaced by another’s will.

This is the point where my conscious submission will become my intentional obedience.

So what does this mean to me?

At first I thought I was free. Then I came up against the force of the truth. I did not recognize this conflict for what is was and resisted. I had many false victories but my defeat was finally complete. I surrendered by force. Yet my surrender was not complete. I did not really know my new Master nor understand the terms of my surrender. I turned away from my old life but still struggled with the cost of the battle. I now daily submit, but my will is still strong. I have not learned the art of obedience. I act out in pride, fear and denial instead of trust & love.

What must I do now? My Prayer:

Father, It is my desire to surrender my will to Yours. I know that I must come to fully know You through Your Word, love You through worship, trust You through Prayer and build a personal relationship with You void of pride, fear, and denial. Through your Son and in the power of your Holy Sprit allow me to fully surrender to You. AMEN.

SW

Next in Series: What prevents or hinders surrender ?

1 Comments:

At 3:33 AM, May 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that this is a criticle time for believers and many have missed it when it comes to total surrendering, we surrender with words but deeds remain unchanged.I has to die for total surrenderance,I die that my will dies, so that I might surrender to my farthers will, an so I surrender all, mind,will, and body.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home