Friday, October 29, 2004

The Sweet Uses of Adversity

-- C. H. SPURGEON 1859

Perhaps, O tried soul! the Lord is doing this to develope thy graces. There are some of thy graces that would never be discovered if it were not for thy trials. Dost thou not know that thy faith never looks so grand in summer weather, as it does in winter? Hast thou not heard that love is too often like a glow-worm, that showeth but little light except it be in the midst of surrounding darkness? And dost thou not know that hope itself is like a star—not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity? Dost thou not understand that afflictions are often the black foils in which God doth set the jewels of his children's graces, to make them shine the better.

It was but a little while ago that on thy knees thou west saying, "Lord, I fear I have no faith: let me know that I have faith." But dost thou know thou wast praying for trials, for thou canst not know that thou hast faith, until thy faith be exercised.

Lord may my trials be Yours. Develope my graces Lord. Lead me through adversity to faith renewed. SW

1 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, October 31, 2004, Blogger Jim said...

Sorry man to much king james talk in there for me to follow. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home