Friday, November 05, 2004

God loves the inner city !!

Last Saturday I returned to the neighborhood where Mom grew up, near Florence & Western. The Everyman Ministry from saddleback joined forces with men from African-American churches in Los Angeles in advance of the EveryMan conference to be held the following weekend in Compton.

About 40 men from South County teamed with some 20 men from the city to deliver gift baskets to single mothers. We went to their homes, presented them with a gift basket on behalf of their pastor & the men or the parish in order to honor them for doing God’s work in raising His children. We reminded them that there is one man that they can always count on, and His name is Jesus Christ. We offered to pray for them and ask if they had any immediate needs.

I was blessed to present a basket to a young African-American. When I ask her how I might pray for her she said, “my son Micah constantly asks why their family doesn’t have a man & a woman. He wants to know if they are still a family.’’ She was quite emotional as we prayed for gods wisdoms and that God might bring a male role model into their lives.”

(More on this later…)



‘Oh, that I knew where I might find Him!’—Job 23:3

“It is one of the strange things in the dealings of Jesus, that even when we arrive at this state of entire spiritual destitution, we do not always become at once the objects of his justifying grace. Long seasons frequently intervene between our knowledge of our ruin, our hearing of a deliverer, and the application of that deliverer's hand.” Charles H. Spurgeon
(1834-1892)

Lord act quickly
hear my call today
though I ignored Your constant invitations
for give my pride
and grant relief
to Your impatient child.
SW

2 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, November 08, 2004, Blogger Jim said...

Dud ethat is an swesome story and sounds like you handled it well. PRE CR could you even comprehend the thought of doing that. I THINK NOT!!! It works if you work it and it won't if you don't!! SO WORK IT!!!
AMEN.
JIM.

 
At 11:09 AM, November 10, 2004, Blogger PHIL said...

Great story! Glad to hear how you were blessed & blessing to others. I heard you tell versions of this story three times. Enjoyed it each time!

God bless

PR

having 4 day weekend due to holidays. Will focus on inventory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home