Saturday, November 13, 2004

boys day out

Recuperating from Friday's Boy's Day Out...

So this is what having boys is like... you know I have raised 4 daughters... well, yesterday I got an education...

My nephew (on Mary’s side) is 14 and car crazy... especially muscle cars... last time out I took him to Petersen’s car museum in L.A. and then for a ride in my dad's '68 mustang with the boss 302... blah blah blah... he & my dad on & on...rear end this ... transmission that.

This time we went to the drags in Pomona... finals in championship series or something... well its one third pits; one third trade show; one third race... we got there at 9am stayed till 5pm... go go go... the kid never stops moving or talking...

The hi-light was in the pits. We were standing about 6 feet from one of these 7000 horsepower sleds as it idled on the rack... the shock wave coming off the exhaust was stunning. Then, all of a sudden six mechanics dressed in spotless uniforms grabbed the steel frame of the dragster & leaned with all their weight... the head mechanic reached up & opened the throttle full... the roar pierced through every pore... I could feel my insides quake... the earplugs were useless as I covered my ears & ducked instinctively... I took a shot from my old adrenaline gland that made every hair (still left) stand on end & my heart jump into my throat... and the poisonous cloud of smoke just about finished me off. (no, I didn’t wet my pants!)

Amazing to think of the power generated as a few molecules of alcohol combine with a few molecules of oxygen under just the right conditions... of extreme pressure... then a little spark.... (hmmm, is there a message there?)

Today I’m recuperating... I think I’ll take one of my girls to the ballet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home